Monday, May 29, 2006

Camp Squared 2 NetSquared

I've got a lot of catching up to do. I just came off Online Community Camp and WineCamp, and am off to NetSquared tomorrow. There's a lot to catch up on, but the brief skivvy (is that redundant?) right now:
OCC: Largely corporate (I think I counted less than 10 nonprofits for 100 attendees), but to be fair, it was never billed as any sort of community building specifically for civic society (and I'm not saying that as a critique, it is just what it is). I personally didn't take back a lot from the conference, but that's partly because I'm not attempting to create a place for a community to gather - I am more interested in how communities can exist using distributed Web2.0 tools - i.e. there may be an actual place (or URL), but maybe it's just a distributed conversation. I did have an interesting conversation on the challenges of online international community building; perhaps I'll repost those notes on ConsultantCommons.org as well as the (closed) OCC Wiki. I'll do a more formal report-back on OCC soon.
WineCamp: Despite last-minute organizing (and direction) challenges, WineCamp turned out to be an incredible event - in no small part to the setting, and the wine(s) (those being Stormhoek, Ferriere and Stevenot) and the enthusiasm of the attendees. Chris Messina and Tara Hunt's original idea of bringing nonprofits and geeks together paid off - both in tangible ways with real-life, in-the-moment projects (including a "barn-raising" website makeover for a nonprofit attendee) - and dozens of passionate and creative conversations, of which one I know will continue past the Calaveras county mark - because I intend to personally drive that conversation.

More on all this to be continued. In the meantime, I've got a day to catch my breath, then off to NetSquared, where a small but sunburnt crowd might regale the others with big smiles and enthusiastic tales.

Technorati tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home